Sewer Construction Begins
On March 12th, as another nor’easter approached and heavy equipment worked in the background, members of the Orleans Pond Coalition met in the Friends Marketplace parking lot, walked to the work site and unfurled their banner that read “The Orleans Pond Coalition Says Thank You.” The brief standout was to celebrate the commencement of construction of the collection system for Orleans’ future sewer system.
Len Short, a former OPC President and a member of both the Orleans Water & Sewer Board and the Cape Cod Commission, commented, “Our thanks to the many people who have helped to make the comprehensive wastewater plan a reality. This has been a community-wide effort that is finally bearing fruit.”
Judith Bruce, an OPC founder and long-time clean water activist who is on the Orleans Conservation Commission, observed, “We have known for years that 70% of the nitrogen that degrades our waters comes from septic systems. After years of delay, Orleans is moving from planning to doing. This is a significant landmark for Orleans on OPC’s fifteenth anniversary!”
Since the construction began, the town has been trying to keep the disruption and road closures to a minimum. We think they are doing a great job and want to pass on to you the most current information that we have from Orleans DEP
Sewer Construction Schedule
03/28 – 04/04:
- Run main line on Academy Place from Main St. to Rte 28
03/28 – 04/06:
- Run main line on 6A from Main St. heading to the Hole in One.
04/05 – 04/24:
- Run main line on Main St. from the Library heading towards Brewster Cross Rd.
04/09 – 04/19:
- Run main line on 6A from Main St. heading to 115 Cranberry Highway
04/19 – 04/30:
- Run main on Main St. from 6A to Old Colony and then up Old Colony to the Chocolate Sparrow.
04/24 – 05/01:
- Run main from Brewster Cross Rd. to Cummings Rd. along Main St.
- Begin installing service connections.
We anticipate one more library parking lot closure on or about 4/5/18.