It’s Earth Day 2021 – OPC Call for Volunteers
Join OPC as we step up to help our waters
Call for Volunteers:
- Estuary Samplers, summer 2021 (dates tbd): Join Orleans volunteers to sample our estuaries – Pleasant Bay, Cape Cod Bay, Town Cove and Nauset Estuary – for our 22nd year of sampling and monitoring Orleans marine water quality. Pleasant Bay is all set but volunteers are needed (especially with boats) for Town Cove and Nauset Estuaries and a team of 1 or 2 to sample Rock Harbor by wading in. 5 early mornings July thru early September. Equipment and training provided in June. Contact Judith Bruce, Turtledock@comcast.net.
- Cyanobacteria Monitor: OPC is teaming with APCC to monitor cyanobacteria on 4 of Orleans’ lakes and ponds. We still need help for Icehouse Pond. Testing will commence on May 24th, and there will be 12 bi-weekly sampling events. Contact Jamie Demas, email@example.com.
- Mutt Mitt dispenser & sign maintainer: Handy with a screwdriver? Our 55 dispensers and signs sometimes need replacement or maintenance. Contact Judith Bruce, Turtledock@comcast.net, if you’re available to help.
Earth Day Cleanups:
- Join Friends of Rock Harbor, Saturday, 4/24, 3 PM in the parking lot their annual Rock Harbor cleanup. Look for Wayne with trash bags and suggestions.
- Join the Orleans Natural Resources Department at Nauset Beach, Sunday, 4/25, 11:30. Meet at the picnic tables and bring your own lunch. A Natural Resources staff member will give a short talk before sending folks out on the beach to clear winter debris.
OPC Installs Oxygenation Demonstration Project at Sarah’s Pond:
Our second technology
Side stream supersaturation – is now installed, up and running – and delivering impressive amounts of oxygen – to our test basin. Stay tuned for results as the summer progresses.